Dental implants are artificial teeth similar in structure and function to your natural teeth that is used to replace the lost or damaged tooth. The dental implant process is a three-phase process.
- The dental specialist drills a hole in the jawbone to fix the implant during the first session. After several months’ bone develops around the implant.
- In the second session, the gum that covers the implant is opened to add a small post [abutment], which supports the crown [artificial tooth]. Abutment healing is allowed for 3 to 5 weeks.
- In the third session, a mouth impression is made and sent to the lab for making the new crown. When a crown is created and delivered the oral surgeon tests it to ensure that you feel comfortable wearing it. It necessary adjustments are made.
The dental implant looks stunning but is vulnerable to complications. Dental implant failures occur due to situations that compromise the function of the implants jeopardizing their durability.
At Orion Dental, the kinds of dental implant emergencies patients’ approach to get treated for are –
- Trauma – A solid impact on the implants can be damaging. Trauma can significantly damage the restoration of the implant surrounding. Sports injuries, biting down hard objects, and trips & slips are common trauma causes.
- Peri-implantitis – The tissue around the dental implant gets infected, which can destroy gums and bone supporting the implant. Ultimately, there is no sufficient tissue left to support the new teeth. Infection signs are redness and swelling in the gums, bad taste, puss, and inflamed lymph nodes.
- Improper care – If you are not taking care to maintain the new implant with proper flossing and brushing then it Careless about can trigger bone loss or gum disease.
Sometimes, dental implant error occurs, when the dentist does not place it properly in the healthy bone tissue. When the titanium rod is not correctly attached to the bone, the implant loosens. Loosen implants fail over time. Therefore, whenever you experience discomfort near the implant site, visit the dental clinic as soon as possible.
How to deal with dental implant emergencies?
The moment you identify that something is wrong with the dental implant consult a local emergency dentist. Visual checkup of the mouth and X-rays will be taken to diagnose the intensity of the emergency.
In some cases, the oral surgeon can refer you to prosthodontics. Prosthodontics is a specialist, who can replace or repair the damaged implant. In case of infection, the oral surgeon recommends an intensive treatment plan. Some patients are recommended dental plant removal for proper healing. The implant is replaced after some weeks.
In sedation dentistry, medication is used to help you settle down or keep you calm, during the dental procedure. Local anesthetic medication at the painful site is employed so that there is numbness and the dentist can work comfortably. You also cannot feel the discomfort and pain during a dental procedure.
A dental implant is a great option for permanent tooth replacement. It doesn’t mean you must expect dental implant emergencies, but be ready to handle one!