Every moment of your life is a new beginning, but starting a new life in a new state is an overwhelming experience. Finding a place to live, a new job, meeting new friends is all going to be worth it.
There are a lot of things involved while you plan to move to a new state, including shipping your household items, clothing, and your car too. The very crucial part is to find a car transporter who can help you transport your vehicle safely. Ship a Car, Inc. can do this work for you. They provide superior shipping services at the best price.
With so many things to do, we often tend to forget about the most important thing we need and that is establishing residency. This task should be on your priority list before, during, and after your relocation. Failing to do so, you will put yourself into a lot of trouble.
Reasons why you need to establish residency:
- Tax purpose is one important reason why you need to change your residency. The state where you can claim for residency needs the person to live in that state for a specific period. For example, some states would want the residents to live there for more than 183 days. This is because most of the US states do have the rule for their residents to pay income taxes.
- Another reason is to obtain lower state and income taxes, in-state tuitions at some good universities or colleges, for voting rights, etc.
Steps for establishing residency:
- First and foremost, you need to find a place for you to live. This means you require a permanent address. So, whether you purchase some standalone apartment or you stay in a rented flat, you need to have an address to mention. Remember P.O. Boxes do not work in this case.
- The next thing you need to do is to establish a legal domicile. You need to fill up the official “Declaration of Domicile” document to ensure that your new residence is your permanent house. For example, states like Florida do require such documents to be filled by their new residents to claim for their tax benefits.
- Once you have a permanent house or a rented apartment, you need to change your mailing address at the USPS.
- You will also need to make sure that all your utility service providers know about your address change. It will be better you speak to your insurance provider too about this change.
- The next thing to do is to update your details in the IRS as soon as possible. This is to make sure that all your tax refunds and the correspondence will be sent to your new address.
- Make sure you register to vote. You can also do that while you apply for a driving license which is important if you plan to drive here.
- Update your bank account information and your credit card billing address.
- Lastly to update all your friends and family about your new move.
Moving to a new state is not an easy task, but fortunately, you have lots of facilities to smoothen your work.